On 10th September 2013 the Southwell Community came together at a meeting in the Minster, under the umbrella of the newly established Southwell Flood Forum. Many of those present signed up to help do whatever it takes to ensure that the town does not suffer a repeat of the flood of 23rd July. Some residents had not long been back in their homes following the flood event of 25th June 2007, since when nothing had been done to limit the risk from another flood event. The Forum gathered enormous momentum, bringing the Flood Risk Authorities to task and working with them to achieve solutions to the multiple sources and routes of flood waters, culminating in a comprehensive report and recommendations.
Hundreds of volunteers continue to bring their knowledge, expertise and disciplines in:
- Flood Alleviation
- Watercourse Management
- Emergency Planning
- IT and more
Southwell is not the only place where flooding is a serious issue. Flood mitigation measures are costly and will not be met wholly from public sources. Public funds across the country are reducing as demand for spending on flood mitigation is at its highest. Some of the funding will therefore have to be found from within the community and we will need to demonstrate our willingness to help ourselves.
Purpose of the Flood Fund
The Southwell Flood Fund will be used to contribute to the funding of flood defence and mitigation measures within the area covered by Southwell Flood Forum.
Southwell is not only helping itself, it is taking on the jobs that many believe the authorities should do. However, in the age of austerity by working with the authorities the community is making limited resources go further. To see the amazing way the people of Southwell have come together to help themselves visit: www.southwellfloodforum.org.uk For more information contact Katy Todd: tel 01636 819233
- By standing order – this is a safe and convenient way to make a regular donation to the fund. To set up a standing order please complete ‘this form’ and hand it in at your bank, please call us on 01623 620202 for our bank account details. Alternatively you can set up a standing order through your online banking or telephone banking services. When setting up a payment please use SFF and your surname as payment reference so we can ensure your donation goes to the correct fund (if no reference is used your donation will go into our Major Oak Fund).
- By cheque – please print off a gift aid form by clicking on the giftaid it logo below, complete it and return it to us (address on the form) together with your cheque made payable to Nottinghamshire Community Foundation and write Southwell Flood Fund on the back of the cheque
- By Paypal – please use the donate button below (please be aware Paypal take 3.4% + 20p from your donation)
- By bank transfer – to transfer directly to our bank call us on 01623 620202 for our account details. When making a payment please use SFF and your surname as payment reference so we can ensure your donation goes to the correct fund (if no reference is used your donation will go into our Major Oak Fund).
- By text – simply text FLUD14 and an amount of £1, £2, £3, £4, £5 or £10 to 70070
GIFT AID Whichever method you use to donate please complete a ‘Gift Aid form’ by clicking the logo below. Using Gift Aid means that for every £1 you donate we can claim an extra 25p from the Inland Revenue.